We recognise that your privacy is very important to you and that you have a right to control your personal information. We know that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. We are committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles in the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD?
The type of information we collect, and hold includes personal information about:
- clients, business associates and potential clients and their employees;
- suppliers and their employees;
- employees, prospective employees and contractors;
- volunteers; and
- other people who come into contact with us.
In general, the personal information we collect and hold may include name, contact details, occupation, personal preferences, payment type information (including financial and credit card information), website usage data (which may include your IP address, how you accessed our website and your wider geographic location), personal description, professional history and other information which assists us in conducting our business, providing and marketing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
HOW DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD INFORMATION?
We will only ever collect personal information by lawful and fair means. We will not collect personal information about you if you request us not to. However, if we are unable to collect or use your information, we may not be able to engage with you effectively or at all.
We may collect information in the following ways:
- from you directly when you provide your details to us including, for example, when you register with us to receive our newsletters or other information, when you make a donation to us, when register an event or when you purchase merchandise;
- from you indirectly through emails, forms, face-to-face meetings, registration and attendance at events, business cards and telephone conversations and through use of the services and facilities available through our website and social media channels; and
We will generally tell you why we are collecting personal information about you when we collect it unless the reasons would be obvious to you. All personal information you provide to our website is delivered through a secure, encrypted connection called secure sockets layer (SSL). We use 128-bit SSL encryption which provides industry standard levels of protection against unauthorised access to the information while it is in transit over the Internet.
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy. We take reasonable steps to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take all reasonable steps to keep any information that we hold about you secure, accurate and up to date. We may use third parties including overseas companies, to provide services including processing and storage of all or part of the information we hold about individuals. Information processed and/or stored by these service providers may include sensitive Information. We require our service providers to handle this information in accordance with the Privacy Act. In providing this information you consent to us and our service providers processing and storing information about you in this way and confirm that anyone else who you have provided information about also consents to this. Our employees and contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us.
While we take all reasonable steps to secure any personal information provided by you over the internet you should be aware that there are inherent risks in internet transmission. You should keep us informed of any changes to your personal information using the contact details below.
WHY DO WE COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE INFORMATION?
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you on our website. For example, we may use your information:
- to provide you with information about our organisation, including information about resources, events and merchandise, and information that we reasonably believe may be of interest to you;
- to administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to assess your application for volunteering opportunities;
- to assess your application for business and/or sponsorship opportunities;
- to enable the performance of contracts with you;
- to carry out ongoing R U OK? activities;
- to respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- to procure or process a donation and provide you with a tax receipt;
- as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to protect when required by law;
- to protect our rights or property or those of any member of the public; and
- to deal with any threats to a person's health or safety.
WHO DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO?
We will disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by law, regulation, court order, statutory or public authority or to protect our rights and property.
We may provide your personal information to:
- any third party that administers any facility, service or promotion operated via our website on our behalf;
- our employees;
- our professional advisors;
- contractors or service providers who we have engaged or appointed to carry out or advise us with respect to our functions or activities;
- any specific parties which we have advised you of at the time the relevant personal information is collected;
- any other parties with your express or implied agreement.
We do not sell, re-use, rent, lease, loan, trade or otherwise divulge the information we may have been provided to anyone unless you specifically consent to provide such information to a third party. We use a secure encryption page for online donations. Your credit card or bank account details are only used to process your donation and are securely stored by the provider of our electronic payment service. The details are not used for any other purpose.
WILL WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO ANYONE OVERSEAS?
We may disclose your personal information to the following overseas recipients:
- companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as third-party service providers);
- to anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it; and
- to anyone else where we are required to do so by law.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), you may seek access to and correction of the personal information which we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer by email to email@example.com. We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. If a fee is payable for providing access, you will be advised of the likely cost in advance.
‘Sensitive information’ is defined in the Privacy Act and includes information about your health, ethnic origin and religious beliefs. We will not collect sensitive information about you unless it is required for our functions or activities and you, or a parent, guardian or other person authorised to act on your behalf, have consented or the collection is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act. We will regard consent as inferred if information is freely provided by you, or by a family member or other person authorised to act on your behalf, to us.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A PRIVACY RELATED COMPLAINT
If you have any questions about privacy-related issues or wish to complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles or the handling of your personal information by us, please contact our Privacy Officer by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may ask you to lodge your complaint in writing. Any complaint will be investigated by the Privacy Officer and you will be notified of the making of a decision in relation to your complaint as soon as is practicable after it has been made, usually within 30 days.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Tel: 1300 363 992
Thank you for choosing to donate to the R U OK?. Your contribution is greatly appreciated and will aid our work in suicide prevention.
Please make sure you complete all details carefully, including key information and the amount you are donating to us
Errors in Amount Pledged
Should an error be made in the amount of any donation, please notify R U OK? of the error within 60 days.
Change of Heart on Donation
Once you have made a donation to R U OK? we do not give refunds if you change your mind. It is for this reason that we ask that you make your choice to donate carefully.
R U OK? is under no obligation to give a refund for a donation if an error has been made on your part, but we will endeavour to ensure that any genuine errors are rectified. Your request to consider a genuine error should be made to R U OK? within 60 days.
Errors by Us
Should an error be made by R U OK? or its financial institution(s), we will make a full refund as soon as possible after notification of the error is received and all costs will be borne by R U OK?
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY OR REFUND POLICIES
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Our postal address is:
R U OK?
1 Kent Street
Millers Point NSW 2000